09 March 2006

 

Just Came In The Mail...

Posted by A at 7:44 PM | View All 4 Comments | Post a Comment

Look what finally arrived from HobbyLink Japan... My Musai and Gallop! Of course, here are the customary pictures of the box and its contents. ;-)

       

Unfortunately I don't have much free time this month, so it will take me quite a while to get these built. For now, here are my first impressions.

The Gallop is really nice. I had been worried about the quality of the resin molding, but it is excellent. The model has no air bubbles, which I didn't think was even possible with resin casting. There is a fair amount of flashing, but most of it comes off easily - I did some of the detail work with my fingernail. Most of pieces that are not to be painted yellow - the engine intakes, the main gun, and so on - are separate pieces so I think this will be pretty easy to paint. Oh, and it comes with open and closed versions of the main doors, so you can pose it with figures in the doorway.

As for the Musai... my first reaction was "Wow, this box is not nearly as large or heavy as the White Base's box." Which is to be expected I suppose, for while the Musai is almost as long as White Base, it is considerably thinner and less massive. Anyway, the model looks fairly straightforward to build and the detail on the model is phenomenal. The panel lines are not painted, as I expected, and other details will require paint to look their best... things like the inside of the hanger doors, the door that connects to the Komusai, the Komusai's wheels, and various tiny lights and other hull details. I also noticed the transparent pieces are all molded in clear plastic, not the translucent red the bridge windows are shown as in all the photos I've seen. It should be easy enough to go over them with translucent red paint, but I still wonder why they didn't bother molding them in red. Anyway, those are my first impressions... much more to come!




Return to main page