17 June 2006

 

Gallop Review

Posted by A at 5:00 PM | View All 0 Comments | Post a Comment

I finally finished the 1/400 scale B-Club Gallop model last weekend, so here at last is my review!

Overall, I am very pleased with how this model turned out. The scale looks right, the model is nicely detailed, my paint job turned out pretty well, and as you can see from the pictures, it just looks cool. Was it worth 80 bucks? That's hard to say...

The quality of the resin casting, as I noted in my initial post, is fantastic. There are virtually no air bubbles (a common flaw in resin models) and aside from a bit of flashing, it is an excellent cast. My only complain is that some of the panel lines are a little shallow... I assume some molds would be better than others, but I found my panel a little hard to fill in a times. Still, a minor flaw. I should warn that some of the fitted pieces, particularly the replaceable hatch door pieces and the turret mount, are so tightly fitted that unless you file down the edges beforehand, you'll find they are impossible to move without damaging your paint job. I had the foresight to take care of the doors, but my turret mount is glued in place lest someone try to move it and take all the paint off the back of the model.

So I am pretty happy with how it turned out... yellow is a terribly unforgiving color, but after using a light sand-colored primer and a couple coats of yellow paint, I think it looks pretty good. Though I must say, painting a huge chunk of resin (i.e., the body of the Gallop) is rather tricky... painting something that heavy and awkwardly shaped is harder than you'd think! ;-)

Anyway, it took a couple months for me to get around to it, but my Gallop is finally complete... Ramba Ral would be proud. Enjoy the pictures!

  
  




Return to main page